Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Advocacy Tools and Resources

I have been very lucky to have been mentored by the NAMI Ohio staff over the past 9 months. I have gained an appreciation for the struggles of individuals with mental illness and their families face on a day to day basis during my time answering NAMI Ohio Helpline calls. I practiced my professionalism skills while attending meetings with Betsy Johnson held all over  Franklin Co. I was able to witness firsthand many testimony sessions held at the State House on Medicaid Expansion and have made many  mental health community contacts throughout the state of Ohio. I have practiced my communication skills and learned the importance of a social worker to advocate for their client(s). As necessary as advocacy is in practice, not everyone knows where to start. NAMI Ohio offers a few easy guidelines for making sure your client(s) voice is represented when approaching legislators. I think the main tips provided can be utilized in any advocacy opportunity.

Take a look at the link provided below to get more information about legislative advocacy as well as about NAMI Ohio:

Legislative Advocacy tips 

No comments:

Post a Comment